Darker Matter Forums Forum Index Darker Matter Forums
Science Fiction Online

Main Darker Matter Site  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Individual vs society

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Darker Matter Forums Forum Index -> Severance Pay by Shane Nelson
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david-de-beer

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Individual vs society Reply with quote

I find this theme irrestible - the rights and obligations of the individual and how it overlaps and conflicts with that of society.

But I didn't understand the ending here, it didn't feel logical considering the rest of the plot. Probably I missed something.

Could somebody explain it please? specifically:

why did he give up his arm? and what does that have to do with the ethics and morality concerns previously mentioned?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He needed the money. I don't believe the decision to give up the arm was based on ethics or morality - rather a case of more immediate need. This also solves two problems for those in charge: In giving up the arm, Nathan becomes less of a threat to security, a measure eagerly pursued by the authorities (since he chose not to be reeducated), and the arm may be a donation of sorts, like donating a heart.

Nathan's passing thoughts on the ethics and moral issues probably stem from his 'understanding' of the overwhelming task of (I'll use 'government') to administer equally to all - an impossibility at best - and therefore an untruth. He probably figures he cannot win a contest with such a creative adversary and, of course, his family is dead, so he probably has little will to try. In effect, he has chosen to take the easier action - the government will leave him alone now.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention I really enjoyed the story. It was well written and certainly does bring up the issues of ethics and morals, and the BS individuals are fed on such a consistent basis by the people they are led to believe they should trust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Darker Matter Forums Forum Index -> Severance Pay by Shane Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: