Darker Matter Forums Forum Index Darker Matter Forums
Science Fiction Online

Main Darker Matter Site  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burning Astronomers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Darker Matter Forums Forum Index -> Is there Life Out There? by I. E. Lester
View previous topic :: View next topic  
precinctomega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Burning Astronomers? Reply with quote

I enjoyed the article. Nothing especially new, but, as ever, readable, concise and enlightening. However, I wonder if I.E. can cite a specific example of a "heretic" astronomer being burnt at the stake?

This most iconic of medieval executions was, in fact, very rarely executed and mostly for treason rather than heresy (and often for female adultery, which was considered a form of treason).

That's not to say that no astronomers were burnt. I just can't find any record of it.

R.
I.E. Lester

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: An astronomer burned as a heretic Reply with quote

Hi,

The one I found in my research was Giordano Bruno, who was burned at the stake in 1600.

One of the crimes he was judged and comdemed of was claiming the infinity plurality of inhabited worlds throughout the Universe (in a book entitled "De l'Infinito , Universo e Mondi").

Although I will admit there were other charges as well.

That, and he was never considered to be all that good as an astronomer.

Galileo was condemned also as a heretic for heliocentric views but he was placed under house arrest instead, and remained so for the last eight years of his life.

I.E.
precinctomega

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touche!

Let us hope that our days of burning astronomers is over.

R.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Darker Matter Forums Forum Index -> Is there Life Out There? by I. E. Lester All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: