Darker Matter Forums Forum Index Darker Matter Forums
Science Fiction Online

Main Darker Matter Site  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

offline version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Darker Matter Forums Forum Index -> Suggestions and requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snickkers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: offline version Reply with quote

I've already mailed this suggesstion off to Mr. Darker Matter, but I thought I'd post it here too and see if, perhaps, I'm not the only one who thinks this would be a good idea.

I'm thinking it would be good to get a downloadable, off-line version of each issue. It doesnt have to be in a different format - HTML is fine. The main reason I like this idea is so i can download Darker Matter issues to my pocket pc, and read them on the train on the way to work without needing an internet connection. The other advantage is for us hoarders, who are scared their electronic magazines will disappear into nothingness some day, so we'd like to have a local copy to hug and to hold and to keep forever.

There are 2 problems i can think of. There's a possible problem with copyrights (although, if the stories are available online, and they include "print" buttons on the webpage, I can't see this being a problem). The other problem is ad revenue - because of course offline versions wouldn't have clickable ads.

Anyway... thoughts?
darkerma
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: offline version Reply with quote

snickkers wrote:
I'm thinking it would be good to get a downloadable, off-line version of each issue. It doesnt have to be in a different format - HTML is fine. The main reason I like this idea is so i can download Darker Matter issues to my pocket pc, and read them on the train on the way to work without needing an internet connection. The other advantage is for us hoarders, who are scared their electronic magazines will disappear into nothingness some day, so we'd like to have a local copy to hug and to hold and to keep forever.

Hi Tony,

thanks for your message - great to have you on board.

I hadn't planned offline versions, but I think it's a good idea. I'll look into the possibilities, and might see if I can get it going in time for the next issue (or possibly issue 4).

I don't know if the printable versions of the stories work better on a pocket-PC? They're in the folder http://www.darkermatter.com/issue2/print and are linked to by a "Print" button at the top of each story - not sure if that helps or not!

Cheers,

Ben
podsquash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony - Since you raise the no-ads problem, I wanted to ask whether you would be willing to pay for the privilege of downloading? That might be a way around the problem... or it might put you off, I don't know! Just interested as I want the site to stay alive..

Cheers!
FadeRautha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: offline version Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wanted to sat that an off-live version for an issue is a really good idea. Would make the stories way more accessible.

Barak
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Darker Matter Forums Forum Index -> Suggestions and requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: