Darker Matter Forums Forum Index Darker Matter Forums
Science Fiction Online

Main Darker Matter Site  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Darker Matter No More

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Darker Matter Forums Forum Index -> Darker Matter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkerma
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Darker Matter No More Reply with quote

Hi,

bad news, I'm afraid. I've decided that this month's issue of Darker Matter will be the last. There's a detailed explanation on the blog:

http://www.darkermatter.com/blog/articles/2007/08/02/bad-news

Thanks to everyone on this forum for their support over the months. As I say in the blog, I'll keep the forum going, so feel free to come back here if you're interested.

Ben
Sad
precinctomega

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! I return after a few months away and look what's happened!

The blog doesn't seem to be working right now, Ben. Any chance of sharing the detail with those of us who missed it?

FWIW, you did a helluva lot better than a lot of online free magazines. Five issues of pretty good stuff is a strong legacy to leave behind.

R.
darkerma
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

precinctomega wrote:
Whoops! I return after a few months away and look what's happened!

The blog doesn't seem to be working right now, Ben. Any chance of sharing the detail with those of us who missed it?

FWIW, you did a helluva lot better than a lot of online free magazines. Five issues of pretty good stuff is a strong legacy to leave behind.

R.

Hi Robey,

thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure what's happened to the blog - I'll have a look in the next few days and see if I can restore it. The reasons, in a nutshell, for shutting down DM were as follows:

1) As the only person working on the site (albeit with help from lots of contributors, of course), it was taking up far too much time.

2) It was costing me far too much money, and it was becoming fairly clear that it could never break even or even get close to doing so. Hard to justify when I have a family to support!

3) Related to point 1, I've just started (in October) on an MPhil in Linguistics, and I knew I'd need to have as much time as possible available to devote to my studies. Working on DM would have been too much of a distraction.

Anyway, it was an enormous pleasure to work on it while I did, and I met some great people (electronically, anyway!) and I did feel pretty sad about closing it down, but it does seem like a reasonable number of people enjoyed the stories and articles, so I hope it was worthwhile!

Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Darker Matter Forums Forum Index -> Darker Matter All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: