Darker Matter Forums Forum Index Darker Matter Forums
Science Fiction Online

Main Darker Matter Site  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Black Orophant by Daniel Braum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Darker Matter Forums Forum Index -> Issue Four
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkerma
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: The Black Orophant by Daniel Braum Reply with quote

What did you think of this story?
precinctomega

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tricky one, this.

On principle, I don't like the anthropomorphisation of animals, even in Disney movies. I can't say that it was especially well handled here, although it certainly wasn't ballsed-up and the author was clearly trying to walk a line between making the dialogue and internal monologue both clear to a human reader and appropriately "elephant-like".

To that extent, I also don't much like the premise of an animal kingdom rising up to fight alongside a near-extinct humanity.

However, having said all the things I don't like about the author's premise, I do think it was well-written, with good pace and sufficient length to give the story moral depth (which is an important trick in this genre).

If there was one thing that, as an editor, I would tell Daniel to go back and re-do, it is the exposition by Azilba. The whole "humanity driven to the brink of extinction by an alien invasion before saving itself by the skin of its teeth with a time-shifting city" splurge comes out in a total rush. It would have been more satisfying to run the "what happened to humanity?" thread as a parallel story to that of Edu and the Black Orophant.

It was, however, a good read and - I thought - had the potential to string itself out over something more novel-sized. Not my cup of tea, I'd be the first to admit (what with the whole anthropomorphisation thing I have going on), but I'm sure that there would be a market for it out there.

R.
keithlightwaver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: no suaspended disbelief Reply with quote

An interesting idea but overall I found it poorly handled. The writing was also confusing at points.

Quite frankly I can not suspend my disbelief when it comes to animals having languages and human type consciousness. It was just too much like a children's story for me. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Darker Matter Forums Forum Index -> Issue Four All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: